A Return to Routine?

Setup and ready to get back on the horse. 


        While living in Tucson, one great advantage was the ease with which I could indulge my astronomy hobby. I would simply say to my wife, "I'm heading outside tonight" and then setup in our backyard. If insomnia struck, I could take my gear out and observe the heavens while in my bathrobe and slippers. All my things were close at hand and I could enjoy the clear, dark skies of SE Arizona. 

        I won't claim I have that convenience again, but I think it'll be the next best thing: an observation site relatively close to home and secluded enough to be away from traffic and light pollution. 

        Although my trips to Jubilee have been interesting, the area has a lot of trees and development is encroaching more and more upon the dark sky. Not to mention it's a 40-45 minute drive each way. So a few nights ago on a whim (and acting on sketchy info from a fellow astronomer) I packed my gear and headed up Illinois State Route 26. 

        Just north of Spring Bay, there is a county fish and wildlife area. I found a spot surrounded by marshland and could not believe my luck. The area was clear of nearby trees, far enough away from the highway that noise and lights weren't a problem, and - best of all - far from most light pollution. 

        In fact I discovered later this area is lower on the Bortle scale (4) than my yard in Tucson (5). Smoke from wildfires did make for a colorful sunset and may have conspired with moonlight in affecting some observations; but I was still able to see a lot and I'm excited about the potential. 


Half-phase moon was striking and bright

        If I'm going to be honest, I am loathe to share information about this location to others so I can enjoy this discovery without crowds. I have no qualms about being selfish.


M57, my first indicator of a good observing site


        Really I wouldn't even have called it fully dark before observing some DSOs. M81 & 82 were not viewable that night. I think between the smoke and light from the half moon, those would have been tough to find before moonset. 


M13 cluster in Hercules. Nice!

        Happily, I believe I will be able to restart work on my observation lists - starting with the rest of the Messier objects. My Outer Limits challenge will maybe have to go uncompleted. The last item to observe is Caldwell 77, the Hamburger Galaxy. Checking my Stellarium, that looks to be very low in the southern sky in May. Conditions would have to be almost perfect. 

        I was able to see Saturn and I think finally capturing Neptune is in the offing. That would complete my solar system challenge. I was also able to watch the ISS make its way SW to NE. 


*******************


        So although I won't be able to do this in my pajamas (which might be for the best), it will be nice to do this someplace only 15 minutes from home. Stay tuned for further developments. 


M3 in Aquarius


Comments