A Fallow Streak

 

Setup at Jubilee State Park near Brimfield, Il


        We're four months into our new digs back in Illinois. The temps have been much more agreeable, with the air conditioning not going permanent until Father's Day. Even after that, we had a stretch of several days (in July!) it was cool enough we could open the house up and go to sleep listening to tree frogs. Road traffic is amazing, but I admit to acclimating to that rather quickly. And the Midwest cuisine is awesome, with fried chicken pulling way ahead. It will be a long time before I set foot in a Mexican restaurant again. 


It's all so green!


        Star gazing has been a challenge, though. Back in Tucson, I only had to schlep my rig out to the backyard. We now live in a heavily wooded area with just a northerly patch of night sky available. The daytime offers a bit more, and the more moderate temps allow me to look at the sun. The moon may be an option once daylight backs off a bit more. 

 

Our sun on the evening of July 1



        Here in the Land of Lincoln, it's a road trip. I've been looking for a place closer to home, but right now it's a 40-minute drive. Jubilee State Park is just outside Brimfield, and is darker than I anticipated. There are lots of trees surrounding the area, though. I want to find a wide open space somewhere away from town. It will take some time to find that, however. 

        Twilight here also lasts for a looooong time. In June thanks to DST, it isn't full dark until 10:30pm. And even if I got crazy enough to pull an all-nighter, the skies start to lighten up just after 3am. 

        But don't let my whining fool you, I still love this. I just need to rethink my routine. 

Mu Cephei, also known as Herschel's Garnet Star, Erakis, or HD 206936. Red supergiant in Cephus. 

M3 in Canes Venatici


        I am now a member of the Peoria Astronomical Society. There's been a meeting, and some gatherings of the group at Jubilee (I've not been able to attend yet). There is a public open-house of sorts at Northmoor Observatory, just near where I grew up. I was lucky enough to go out a few weeks back and get oriented on the workings so I could help with the tours one day soon. 


Cloudy night, but still amazing

History of the observatory

        In the meantime I'll keep heading out at or around the new moons, and maybe try and catch our moon while here at home. I can also do other activities to keep it all in my head. 

 
Azimuth settings on the base of the Dob.


Comments