Logging progress

 

Crepuscular rays just before sunrise


        The other night we were out having dinner with another couple just talking about general stuff. My astronomy habit always comes up sooner or later. In talking about some part of it I mentioned something about my observation logs. The other couple apparently thought my logging was hilarious, since they laughed quite a bit and asked if I start my entries with "Dear Diary". A parting joke was made at the end of the night also. I chuckled along to show I was a good sport, but I suspect they found the idea ridiculous.

        

1st attempt at logging

        Not quite sure what started me on it. Maybe during my initial gluttony of all things astronomy I may have read something about logging. So I fashioned a blank spreadsheet for me to fill in the blanks and put down some basic information. 

        Later, I probably read somewhere about adding a sketch to a log entry. So I made something new after looking at the blank logs available on the web. I used it up until this year when I joined the Royal Astronomical Society.

Newer blank log 
       
         As I mentioned in a previous post, I sketched less and less and pasted pictures instead. But this version served me very well for a few years. 

        A few weeks ago I joined the league so I could participate in observation programs. I'm looking at the asterism certificate just to get a feel for things. The league has their own version of a log available, so I'm going with that one. It has spots for more information. 

Log from the RASC

        So the other couple can laugh if they want. I could say I don't give a damn, but in a way I do. It feels disappointing to me they would find an aspect of this laughable. I'll be less inclined to discuss this over beers with them or share some other facet of this from now on. And if they find some part of my new passion silly that's their loss. 

****************************

        Ok, enough self pity. Monsoon is almost over and I can look forward to some cool stuff in the months ahead, so watch this space. 


Comments