Finally!

 

Messier 31, The Andromeda Galaxy

        Monsoon 2023 so far has been cloudy and windy, but not a whole lotta rain. And the heat this summer has broke numerous records; not just how high the temperature gets, but how long the hot streak went on. Arizona is headed towards a climatological reckoning, but no one wants to know. 

        Anyway, the clouds have obscured my view most evenings and even when it is less cloudy the heat is like a living thing and discourages any outdoor adventures. One such outing took place the evening of 1 August. The sky was relatively clear and a full moon was in the cards. I attempted to setup that night and log a few more entries in my Lunar 100 Challenge. 

        Well like the song goes, "the heat was hot" even after the sun went down. I watched in the dusky twilight as bats flitted down to take sips of water from our pool. The mid-summer twilight lingered on and the monsoon humidity added to the unpleasantry. I caught another glimpse of the Ring Nebula before the moon began to creep upward low in the southeast. I readied my logs and waited for the Earth to turn. 

        Soon, I found thick foliage from a nearby tree was blocking my view of the moon. I waited for it to rise high enough to clear the branches but it seemed to have set its heart on not doing so. This, the heat, humidity and the increased affection from insects poured water on my fire. I called it a night and went inside before 9pm. 

Aldebaran, in Taurus's head

 

        Nothing else that week before 5 August, when I flew back to Illinois for several days. Our oldest son had been living with us for 14 months as he prepped for a return to Peoria. Kathy and I got things ready in his new home for the initial two weeks of his return. 

        Speaking of our son, Ryan and I made one last visit to Oracle State Park on 14 July. Despite considerable clouds at home, the skies cleared enough at our destination so I logged a considerable number of items. We also discovered Elon Musk is cluttering the night sky with "trains" of satellites. We saw around a dozen or so travelling in a perfectly straight line moving west to east. Aside from that excitement, we saw several Messier objects - 94, 81, 82 and 57. We also discovered a platform is a must for my new Dobsonian, as it sits too low to the ground. But it was a good night all things considered. 

        The trip to Illinois was starless. Mostly cloudy skies were the rule with rain almost daily. Temps were nice and cool, a welcome relief from the excessive heat back in Tucson. I wanted to get an idea of viewing conditions but I didn't go out of my way to try and find a spot, there was simply too much to do. Kathy and I returned home the early morning of 11 August. 

Graphical occultation of Ganymede the morning of 13 August (upper left around 10:00 position)

        The typical monsoon pattern this year has been sunny days, increasing afternoon clouds, storms or the threat of storms in the evening, overnight clearing, rinse and repeat. The Perseid Meteor Shower was expected to peak the night of 11-12 August. Since it was a Saturday night with no rain forecasted (but clouds in the evening), I planned an early morning session for the 13th. 

        With no sleep aid ingested, I awoke at precisely 2:30am. I had moved my equipment outside the night before so I could just setup and go. The early morning hours are actually best since the skies are clearer and the heat has dissipated from the roofs and streets, so no shimmer.  One highlight of the session was Jupiter's occultation of Ganymede (see above). All pics for that session were done with my Google phone. I'm waiting for fall to use my planet cam and my Jupiter footage overexposes on the phone. 

M52, next to Cassiopeia



Section of Milky Way near Cassiopeia

        All of the pictures in this post were done early on 13 August. The Perseids did not disappoint, either. I was out maybe 30 seconds before seeing my first meteor streak across the sky. In the two hours I was out, I saw perhaps two dozen or so. These are for the patient that have the time to relax and watch. 

        I did get some nice footage of Saturn. It's a good time of year as it is at opposition right now. The planet cam will come out in the fall when Saturn is out in the evening and I can test-focus the camera on a partial moon. At this writing, Autumnal Equinox is a mere five weeks away! More darkness than light by then and more moderate temperatures. Tempus Fugit!

        
        There's been a surprising amount of a learning curve with the new Dobsonian. I'm missing the RA and Dec slow motion controls on my EQ mount, along with the setting circles I used to help locate objects. But the dob collects more light and does more with it. Plus I've had a few years with the EQ and am just getting to know my Apertura. Once I get to know it better, I'm sure I will find it very rewarding. I am VERY glad I stuck with an 8" without going larger. 

        or maybe I'm just getting lazier? 😏


Saturn at opposition on 13 August



Comments